Friday, June 10, 2011

Michelle's opera videos and mostly French chansons

The Flute of Pan
THE FLUTE OF PAN
For the day of Hyacinthies, He gave me
a panpipe made of carefully assembled
reeds, united with a white wax that is sweet
to my lips as honey.
He teaches me to play, I am seated on his
lap; but I am a little nervous. He plays after
me, so softly

Weill's Youkali
It was almost to the end of the world
That my wandering boat
Straying at the will of the waves
Led me one day
The isle is very small
But the kind fairy that lives there
Invites us
To take a look around

and
Debussy
and 
Apres un Reve
and
Au Bord de l'eau
and its hard to beat the Italians for drama...so pretty!
O del mio dolce ardor
and I really like this one - same song different colour
more del mio dolce ardor
and a man-song too!
Gabriel Faure
This is a pretty decent chunk of research on songs for water, shipping, sirens, bridges, (death!), so take a listen if you can spare half an hour and see what connects to a) bridge of stone and b) riverbank...  I find some of the accompaniment hard to de-imagine in these. But lovely Michelle- thanks! They really have a rolling quality altogether- so interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment